Monday, July 27, 2009

"Sort of, but not really" CANAAN News

When I saw this headline on ANN,

CANAAN Gets 3 Movies Starting this October

my heart skipped a beat, until I learned that the movies will simply be episodes from the television series spliced together. Seriously P.A. Works, why would you re-release the same thing in movie format? I know that this formula has has been used successfully before, with slight tweaks, like Gainax's Gunbuster vs. Diebuster Aim for the Top!, Hideaki Anno's Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone, Gainax's Gurren Lagann movie, the Death Note Re-Light movie, and probably others that I don't know of or have forgotten. (Even KyoAni is for some unholy reason, currently reanimating the same storyline in Haruhi Suzumiya again and again and again and again and again. Sadistic @#$&#*#s.)

Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying CANAAN immensely, but while seeing the series' trademark gunfights and adorable Canaan x Maria moments on the big screen would definitely be nice...I want new gunfights and new yuri-ish moments. I don't see the point of putting episodes that have already aired together to create three movies. An optimistic take on this would be- this probably means the television series is doing well, and the movie releases could get more non-otaku watching.

Ideally, these three movies would pave the way for a fourth movie composed of new material. ^^ A fan can dream.

No comments: