Tuesday, July 21, 2009

6 Degrees of Yuri in CANAAN

Egad, how did I not notice that CANAAN has a character voiced by Mamiko Noto? (Thanks to Sleepy for pointing it out! ^^)

Mamiko Noto voices Hakko, one of the side characters.



I couldn't tell previously, because Hakko hardly ever says anything and she doesn't have the lilting, more high-pitched voice that Noto normally uses in anime. Hakko is actually the least yuri-ish female character in CANAAN, and she isn't as, uh, prim and proper as many of the other characters Noto has played, like Marimite's Shimako.




I'm also pretty surprised that Miyuki Sawashiro, the seiyuu who plays Canaan,



also voiced Hagino in Blue Drop! (A.k.a. The best yuri series of 2007...after the third season of Marimite. ^^)




Rie Tanaka, the seiyuu who voices Liang Qi,



also played Tomoe in Mai Otome.



I can't be the only person who notices the similarities between the two... ^^;


Finally, Maaya Sakamoto, who has done, like, a million roles, is voicing Alphard! ^^ She isn't a "6 Degrees of Yuri" veteran like Noto, Sawashiro, and Tanaka, but it's pretty awesome to me that she's playing a role in this series.




And I just watched episode 3 today. It was great!! XD In the name of all that is good and holy, if you're following CANAAN and you haven't watched episode 3 yet, watch it a.s.a.p.! There were so many cute moments during Maria and Canaan's date day together! (Although Canaan's comment in the flashback about how much she loves the person who shares the same tattoo as her raised a few questions for me, since that person seems to be Alphard. I'm still rooting for Canaan and Maria, though.)



And I loved the conversation they had at the cafe. ^^






Nothing like a day spent together with your girlfriend.

Although the episode ends on a terrible cliffhanger.



I'm not sure which is worse- the fact that there's an emotional wall between Canaan and Maria as a result of Canaan doing what she pretty much had to do, or the fact that if the bomb were real, Maria would have died.

Arghh, I want episode 4 now! (Blasted cliffhangers.)

8 comments:

ftlyfl said...

Hmmmm...
I'm looking forward to it very much! I haven't seen the series yet but was planning at the beginning when I heard this new anime 3 months ago. It gave me a Noir vibe at the same time. I'm rooting for Canaan and Maria even though at first I thought Canaan and Alphard would be the main pair here. (That was when the series didn't air yet)

Also, I thought Canaan will be voiced by Maaya Sakamoto. She pretty much fits it too knowing she has voiced Canaan's look-a-like character Ryougi Shiki from Kara no Kyoukai! XD

I wonder if it will really be Canaan and Maria till the end...

Speaking of Blue Drop... I miss Hagino. She shouldn't have died. I was totally depressed about her death for how many weeks. T^T Why do most of my fave characters with a Hime cut usually die? (Take it from Yomi from Ga-Rei -Zero-. Oh! and please excuse me if you haven't seen it yet)

Katherine Hanson said...

@ ftlyfl- I'm glad you're checking it out! It's an awesome series. ^_^ And, as I'm sure you can tell, I'm definitely rooting for Canaan x Maria! I've seen Ga-Rei -Zero-. It was really sad (as well as Blue Drop). Hopefully Canaan will have a happy (or at least semi-happy-ish/hopeful), satisfying ending.

Taylor said...

blue drop was amazing ^_^

Katherine Hanson said...

@ Taylor- Agreed! ^^ Blue Drop is a lovely series.

Yi said...

I never really pay attention to who's voicing who, but it's really cool to whenever I find that out.

Anyway, Canaan is really awesome. ^^

Katherine Hanson said...

@ Yi- I'm not a huge fan of any particular seiyuu (...or maybe I'm in denial lol ^^; ), but I like connecting the dots between "6 Degrees of Yuri" seiyuu (or other famous seiyuu, like Sakamoto) and the roles they play in different series that I watch. (Aided by Anime News Network's comprehensive Encyclopedia.) I guess that does actually make me a pretty big fan. lol And yes, Canaan = win. ^^

Anonymous said...

Noto kawai-yo noto (Noto is so cute!!) XD

Please try "Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito".

I also recommend a PS2 game "Akai ito", best yuri game ever.

Katherine Hanson said...

@ Anon- I have seen Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito (love Noto Mamiko as Hazuki!), but I haven't played "Akai ito" (it looks interesting, though; yay horror + yuri! ^^). Thanks for the suggestions!