Friday, March 6, 2009

A Yuri Fan's Dream Come True: Aoi Hana Anime!!


This morning the Anime News Network posted an article announcing that Shimura Takako's excellent coming-of-age drama/yuri romance, Aoi Hana, is being animated by J.C.Staff!! ^__^ To quote myself on the ANN forum:

OH MY GOD, YES!!!! Anime hyper Finally another good yuri anime!!! And it's canon, not subtext!! It isn't fan-sevicey or gimmicky or anything. Just a well-written high school drama with wonderfully realistic characters. Huzzah!!

I am ecstatic. It's been awhile since I last read Aoi Hana, and I started rereading it today. Great stuff. I think I like it even more now than when I first started it. The manga has so many little moments that made me smile, like when Yasuko's (literally) sparkling charm causes Fumi to accidentally sign up for the basketball team, Youko, Misako, and Miwa's (the girls in the Matsuoka Drama Club) goofy behavior, and so on. The relationships are organic, the characters are compelling and believable, and the drama and sprinkles of comedy blend together smoothly. What more could a fan ask for? For the anime to be an excellent adaptation of the manga, of course, but I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. I'm really looking forward to this!

No comments: